JOB TITLE: City Manager
AGENCY: City of Palm Springs
LOCATION: Palm Springs, CA
FILING DEADLINE: October 14, 2022
SALARY RANGE: Highly Competitive
The City Manager serves as Chief Executive Officer of the City and advises the City Council on policy and programs impacting the community and the City organization. The City Manager appoints the City’s department heads and is responsible for ensuring that city services are performed to the highest standard in line with City Council priorities. The City Manager is responsible for the submission and implementation of the City’s budget in addition to the following:
- Oversee the proper application and enforcement of City laws and ordinances.
- Provide overall daily supervision, management, and direction to City departments.
- Build and maintain relationships with City employees, as well as meet and confer with the six established employee bargaining units.
- Create an open environment which encourages resident and business input on City operations and programs.
- Establish effective management relationships with surrounding city, special districts, county, state, and federal agencies.
- Coordinate and provide timely and accurate information to the public and media regarding City events and activities.
- Maintain communication with the City’s 50 neighborhood organizations.
Palm Springs has a reputation for being a diverse, progressive, inclusive and high-achieving, world-class destination city; with an active and engaged community. The City seeks an experienced, politically astute, and strategic leader with well-rounded experience and the ability to provide effective leadership in all municipal areas of government including police, fire, public works, community development, airport operations, finance, recreation, and tourism. Palm Springs is one of the most LGBTQ+ friendly communities among U.S. cities and is proud of its diverse population.
The ideal candidate will be a dynamic and confident manager with excellent communication and interpersonal skills able to build solid business relationships and partnerships. The City Manager will be dedicated and committed to working collaboratively to ensure that the City embraces opportunities while being a creative problem solver to continue the high quality of services that the City is known for. The successful candidate should be comfortable working on a range of issues including affordable housing and homelessness initiatives, economic development, and financial management, as well as environmental and social justice; and have a proven track record implementing and seeing projects to completion. Experience working with the tourism industry is a plus, as well as an engaged and involved community.
The selected candidate will appreciate and protect the historical aspects of the City while creating strategies and plans for a post-pandemic world. The selected candidate will have a positive demeanor, and a passion for public service; a leader that recognizes this opportunity to create and establish an effective and efficient administrative infrastructure for long-term success.
Key characteristics and attributes:
- A supportive leader who creates a cohesive structure and team-oriented working environment.
- An inclusive and positive management style that ensures accountability, responsibility, and encourages discussion and ideas from staff and key stakeholders.
- Good organizational skills with a transparent style of leadership; outward facing who is able and willing to use the City website to promote projects, engage with the community, be approachable.
- Flexible. Able to provide clear goals and expectations, while remaining agile and can adapt to changing priorities.
- The ability to effectively communicate with staff. Remove roadblocks and be willing to allow for project ownership, employee development, and a sense of pride. Able to attract and retain a solid, high performing workforce.
- Stays current in new technologies and statewide and national legislation.
- Effective at community engagement and follow through. A listener.
For more details about this opportunity, please visit the job brochure at:
To be considered, please submit a resume, cover letter, and five work related references (who will not be contacted in the early stages of the recruitment) to: https://koffassociates.com/city-manager-3/
Resumes should reflect years and months of positions held, as well as size of past organization(s).
For additional information, please contact:
Frank Rojas at: (510) 495-0448
The City of Palm Springs is an equal employment opportunity employer, and we encourage all persons to file applications. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, family or marital status, disability, medical condition or pregnancy, genetic information, religious or political affiliation, or veteran status.