The City of Brisbane is currently recruiting for a Communications & Digital Media Coordinator. Under the general supervision of the Communications Manager, organizes and implements communication actions, activities, and messaging in order to grow City-owned pages and leverage the power of social media; produces videos and readies them for sharing across all owned platforms, including the City’s website; maintains a content calendar to support strategic communications activities; and helps cultivate the City’s relationships with the residents of Brisbane. A full classification description is available online at: www.brisbaneca.org/communications-coordinator.
This classification is distinguished from all other classes by its responsibility for the day-to-day operation of communications programs, and by its coordinating, supervisory, and administrative duties for the assigned program. The individual holding this position will work directly with Communications Manager to assist in the planning, development, implementation, and administration of the City's communication plan and communication strategies.
Examples of Duties (Illustrative Only):
Any combination of education, experience and training that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge, skills, and abilities would be
- Creates, reviews, edits, and/or distributes innovative and diverse communications tools in print or digital form, which may include flyers, brochures, ads, newsletters, graphics, and videos to expand visibility and awareness of emerging issues, programs, priorities, and progress on community, City Council and organizational goals, initiatives, and accomplishments.
- Develops compelling stories, messages, and visuals through a variety of mediums including video that attract and engage a digital audience while following the City’s brand standards and communication style guidelines.
- Develops and executes editorial calendar for City-administered platforms and website.
- Customizes outreach content and medium to each population/initiative as appropriate to enhance civic engagement.
- Optimizes City-administered pages within each platform to increase the visibility of the City’s information and content.
- Provides visual enhancements of information and multimedia on the City’s website.
- Provides timely responses to residents’ and followers’ queries and comments.
- Monitors the City's social media performance; uses data to develop and optimize marketing communications strategies.
- Takes photos and videos for City-administered sites and publications; maintains archives.
- Assists with production of monthly print newsletter.
- Livestreams shorter City events.
: Possession of a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in communications, marketing, journalism, web design, or a closely related field.
: Minimum of three (3) years of increasingly responsible experience in multi-media/marketing communications or a related field; or equivalent technical training, education, and/or experience. Required experience to include content creation such as blogging, writing, and/or video, and photography. Practical experience in social media marketing or search engine optimization is desired. Additional experience in a professional or support capacity in a government department may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
: Possession of a valid class C California driver’s license and have a satisfactory driving record.
- Techniques of effective, transparent, and timely communication and outreach.
- Structure and content of the English language, including spelling, punctuation, grammar, and rules of composition.
- Writing for digital platforms including web and social media.
- Photography and video techniques.
- Social media platforms and their respective participants (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Pinterest, YouTube, Twitter, etc.) and how they can be deployed in different scenarios.
- Social media best practices, content creation, online community engagement, and content management.
- Modern office procedures, methods, and computer equipment and software.
- Principles of outreach strategies and technologies, including social media and other web-based communication tools and technologies.
- Techniques for dealing effectively with the public and City staff, in person and over the telephone.
- Operate a variety of office equipment including computers and mobile equipment.
- Perform Word processing and database management with speed and accuracy.
- Work effectively and efficiently in a fast-paced environment, with time-sensitive situations and meet deadlines.
- Have a high attention to detail and coordinate multiple projects simultaneously while meeting project timelines.
- Respond to residents and address complaints/problems in a timely, accurate, courteous, respectful and friendly manner; understand the resident’s needs and provide information by focusing on the customer.
- Communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Draft concise copy that conveys intended voice and tone.
- Foster an environment that embraces diversity, integrity, trust, and respect.
- Analyze situations quickly and objectively and determine proper course of action.
- Keep supervisor informed of all major issues and to recommend changes as appropriate.
- Work autonomously in developing and implementing communications plans and strategies.
- Attend evening meetings and/or work various shifts, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
: In addition to the regular work schedule, this position may be required to work evenings and weekends for meetings or in situations of emergency for communications response and media monitoring.
Spanish and/or Chinese bilingual skills (speaking and writing) are highly desirable.
: Must possess the mobility to work in a standard office setting and use standard office equipment, including a computer, and to travel to different sites or locations and move up to 20 pounds; vision to read printed materials and computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone.
: The selected individual will be required to work onsite in the office with the possibility of hybrid telework once established in the position.
$34.37 – $36.08 – $37.89 – $39.78 – $41.77 per hour. Appointments are generally made at the first step in this range.
This position is eligible for benefits under the General Employees Association Memorandum of Understanding. Health benefits are offered through the CalPERS Health Program. The City contributes to a flexible benefit plan towards the cost of several health plans offered, up to family coverage for Kaiser. City provides paid vision through VSP, dental through a self-insured reimbursement program, long-term disability and life insurance coverage through Voya Financial, and an Employee Assistance Program through MHN. Retirement benefits are provided through CalPERS: 2%@60 for “Classic” members, 2%@62 for New (PEPRA) members (no participation in Social Security). The City will make a contribution of 1.5% to a Deferred Compensation 457 plan with additional matching available. Flexible health reimbursement and dependent care spending accounts are also available. Free commuter shuttle to and from BART and Caltrain.
Vacation: 80 hours annually
Sick: 8 hours of sick leave accrued monthly
Holidays: 13 paid holidays and 2 floating holidays
Longevity: 40 hours after 15 years of full-time service
Job Description URL
: Communications Coordinator JD
Job Announcement PDF
: Communications Coordinator JA
Interested candidates must submit a completed on-line application at www.calopps.org/brisbane/communications-coordinator. Applications and supplemental documents must be received by FRIDAY, AUGUST 20, 2021 at 11:59PM
. Postmarks and faxes will not be accepted.
Please attach a PDF portfolio (examples of your work), or a link to your online portfolio.
If you don’t have the ability to complete #1 above, please create and attach an 8.5”x11” flyer, story, and Instagram post for the next Federal holiday, announcing City Hall’s closure for that day.
All applications, attachments and supplemental questionnaires received will be reviewed for minimum qualifications. A fully completed employment application is required, including work history. Resumes are strongly recommended but do not take the place of completing the required information requested on the application. Do not put “see resume” in place of requested information. Possession of minimum qualifications does not guarantee advancement in the selection process. A limited number of the most highly qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the examination process, which will consist of an oral panel interview (date TBD).
Candidates who successfully pass the examination process and placed on the Eligibility List may be selected by the hiring department to move forward in the process to the Department Head/Manager interview, who will make the final recommendation. Eligibility Lists are good for one year, unless abolished sooner. After a mutual interest has been established, the final candidate must pass a fingerprint check submitted to the Department of Justice and a thorough background investigation with favorable results.
The City of Brisbane is an Equal Opportunity Employer and as such does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, ancestry, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or national origin in its employment actions, decisions, policies, and practices. The duties described in this job announcement are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. This job announcement does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.