The Rancho Cucamonga Fire District is seeking a Community Affairs Senior Coordinator with a strong leadership background and collaborative work style that fosters teamwork, motivation, and commitment. He or she will be a creative and talented problem solver, a strategic thinker who displays natural ingenuity and a passion for high-quality service and products. A hardworking inspired team member who understands the purpose, power and value of an effective public information and community engagement program. The Community Affairs Senior Coordinator will work collaboratively to promote the Fire District's brand and messages on local, regional and national levels and will assist in incorporating the Fire District's and City's Vision, Mission, and Values, as well as Team RC, Healthy RC and Ready RC principles and philosophies into all public communication strategies.
The ideal candidate will embody the core values of the fire district: Integrity, Innovation, Tradition, Professionalism, People, and Stewardship.
Under supervision of the Fire Chief, the Community Affairs Senior Coordinator will plan and administer the Fire District's public information and community engagement program; participate in both city-wide and District public relations efforts for the purpose of risk reduction, promoting trust, cooperation and understanding; coordinate dissemination of information to the media and public.
You will be responsible for:
- Developing branding and communications programs that proactively convey the Fire District's achievements to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Producing print and digital content for external communications while maximizing the effectiveness of internal communication tools and practices. You'll also work collaboratively with the City-wide Community Affairs Team to ensure content, color palettes, and branding is consistent with City or Fire District's Graphics Standards Guide and subsequent departmental guidelines.
- Preserving the Fire District's brand, image, and presence through assigned website pages, content, frequency of postings and public responses associated with a variety of social networks.
- Developing and disseminating press releases, news articles and public service announcements to ensure positive and accurate messaging along with the coordination of various public events and meetings.
- Supporting emergency incidents as the Public Information Officer, coordinating media contacts, disseminating news to the press, and assisting with community relations support.
- Examining trends and creating innovative marketing and communications campaigns, including the creation of pamphlets, brochures, flyers, newsletters and public announcements.
- Preparing and managing the budget for the Fire District's community outreach efforts, including sponsorships and donations.
- Participating in committee activities with other City departments, agencies and organizations in the community.
- Participating in community outreach events and coordinating staff to make appearances or represent at various community events, classroom visits, tours, etc.
- Preparing and presenting staff reports and other necessary Council/Board and/or community presentations.
- Maintaining a historical record of significant events, activities, and issues through photographs, newspaper articles, video, etc.
For more information on this position please visit the job description and bulletin at www.cityofrc.us/rcjobs.
Education and/or Experience:
Graduation from an accredited college with a Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Public Relations, Marketing, Communications, Journalism or a related field. Two years of increasingly responsible community affairs experience with responsibilities for promoting and presenting public information of a public agency, non-profit organization, college or corporation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of the principles and practices of public relations, marketing and community affairs. Knowledge of the Incident Command System and emergency response operations. Ability to cooperatively work in a cross-department team to implement agency goals related to community affairs. Ability to conduct a successful communications program within a set budget. Ability to analyze a variety of advisory data and information in order to develop public relations, communications and marketing material. Ability to effectively communicate orally, in writing, and through the use of electronic media, with City personnel, elected and appointed officials, consultants, attorneys, news media, vendors, and the general public. Ability to deal constructively with conflict and develop effective resolutions. Ability to meet the public in situations requiring diplomacy and tact. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with business representatives, civic groups, staff members and the general public. Proficiency with current computer software programs, including desktop publishing, some graphic design and web page development. Incumbent must have the emotional/psychological maturity for frequent decision-making and concentration; frequent contact and interaction with public, co-workers and other professionals; work in high stress environment and critical capacity during emergencies and disasters as a public information officer.
Licenses; Certificates; Special Requirements:
Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid Class C California driver’s license and demonstrate a satisfactory driving record, is required.
Duties performed may require incumbent to work on weekends and holidays and/or respond to callback duty after normal working hours.