The City of Pleasant Hill invites your interest for the position of Community Relations Manager/Public Information Officer. This is a full-time management position that serves as a key member of the City's Executive Team and reports directly to the City Manager. Public Information and Community Relations is a division of the City Manager's Office responsible for providing information to the general public about programs, projects, and policies of the City Council and City government.
Under direction of the City Manager, Community Relations is also responsible for the cable TV franchise agreements; liaison with civic organizations; and
staff support to the Civic Action Commission, Education Commission, and Measure K Oversight Committee.
The Public Information function includes providing information to residents, businesses, the media, and others about City services and programs. Significant use of social media, including the City's website, the Outlook newsletter, the City Channel, and special events, is an important aspect of the position. Assisting the Mayor with official communications, sharing information from other organizations regarding upcoming events, providing school tours of City Hall and, serving as the point of contact for community organizations, providing staff support to City commissions and City Council meetings, and coordinating environmental programs provides an interesting, rewarding, and stimulating variety of work.
The ideal candidate for this position requires significant professional and managerial competency in communications, and only those candidates able to “hit the ground running” and quickly establish rapport, trust, and credibility within the organization and the community will be considered. A self-starter with excellent communication skills, both spoken and written, and an upbeat attitude about municipal service is strongly desired. This opportunity will serve an individual best if they are truly interested in becoming an integral part of a high performing organization as well as part of the fabric of the Pleasant Hill community.
A Bachelor's degree with major course work in journalism, business or public administration and four years of professional experience is required as is possession of, or the ability to obtain, an appropriate California driver's license. The ideal candidate will have experience in communications in public service.
For additional information, view the job announcement
Applications are only accepted online at calopps.org
. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a City application.
Compensation & Benefits:
The City offers a competitive compensation and benefit package:
- Salary: $121,344 - $161,364 annually; appointment will be based on the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate
- Health/Medical Benefit: Choice of coverage with Kaiser or Blue Shield. The City pays 75% of the Kaiser monthly premium at each coverage level
- Medical in Lieu: The City contributes $400/month in cash or a contribution on behalf of the employee into an ICMA 457 deferred compensation plan in lieu of medical coverage
- Dental & Vision Coverage: City-paid dental and vision plan for employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: CalPERS enrollment in either 2%@60 (Classic Member) or 2%@62 (PEPRA New Member)
- ICMA Deferred Compensation, 401 (a), and Roth IRA Plans: City pays 3% salary into 401(a) plan. Voluntary plans available to all employees
- Retirement Health Savings Program: City contributes $200 per month
- Holidays: City recognizes 13 paid holidays per year
- Life Insurance: City provided life insurance (1x annual salary)
- Long Term Disability: City-paid long-term disability coverage
- Flexible Spending Plans: Dependent care and out-of pocket medical costs may be paid on a pre-tax basis
- Sick Leave: Earned at the rate of one day per month
- Vacation: Up to 25 days of vacation based on years of service
- Administrative Leave: Up to 16 hours per month