JOB TITLE: Director of Airports
AGENCY: County of San Bernardino
LOCATION: San Bernardino, CA
FILING DEADLINE: January 2, 2023
SALARY RANGE: Up to $155,064 Annually
Reporting to the Deputy Executive Officer, the Director of Airports plans, organizes, and administers the activities of the Department of Airports. This includes developing, managing, and promotion of the six County owned or leased airports, heliports, and related facilities. Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Direct airport operations, including the enforcement of ground traffic rules and regulations, airport safety, the efficient and cooperative provision of services to the public, and the administration of all leases and business contracts.
- Formulate and implement long-range plans for the development and use of County airport facilities. Advise and make recommendations to the Board of Supervisors regarding the planning, promotion, development, and use of facilities.
- Prepare or direct the preparation of grant proposals for capital improvement projects to federal and state funding agencies. Promotes the development of new leases, relocation of industries to airport property and identifies other sources of revenue.
- Direct the preparation of the department budget and monitor expenditures. Supervise the collection of and accounting for leases and other service fees, and the administration of contracts.
- Conduct inspections of airports; identify potential hazards and implement solutions; check for compliance with Federal Aviation Administration, CAL-OSHA, funding agencies’ requirements, and pertinent codes, rules, and regulations.
- Confer and coordinate with federal, state, and local officials on general aviation and airport matters. Represent the County at meetings, conferences, and hearings.
- Manage and supervise department staff through subordinate Airport Managers.
- Review proposed or adopted legislation to determine impact on airport operations and make recommendations; initiate new legislation as appropriate.
- Formulate departmental policies, procedures, and work standards.
- Direct the preparation of data, reports, correspondence, grant applications, agreements, and other documents.
The ideal candidate will be a high-energy, innovative, and strategic team player who will provide solid leadership based on high integrity, process improvements, excellent interpersonal and customer service skills and experience. The selected candidate will create a collegial environment of growth and development and should be a manager who understands the need to stay current on new regulations and cutting-edge aviation technology to ensure the Department remains progressive and high performing. A background in planning and property development, airport best practices and efficiencies, strong relationship building to foster positive partnerships with local and regional agencies, business leaders, residents, and other key stakeholders are a must, as well as having the ability to adapt to changing priorities, possess a willingness to coach and mentor, and someone who will model a collaborative and communicative management style.
Opportunities and Priorities
- The Department’s goals for 2023 address the County’s mission to Improve County Government Operations and Create, Maintain, and Grow Jobs and Economic Value in the County.
- The Department of Airports will continue to increase operating efficiencies through monitoring and evaluating operations and Implementing new strategies and improving Airport infrastructure by maximizing FAA and Caltrans Aeronautic funding.
- Maximize structured outreach activities and continue business and expansion programs while implementing office, industrial, and other real estate attraction strategies, and opportunities.
- Ongoing evaluation of Based Aircraft as established in the Airport Master Plans to maintain established forecasts that benefit the Airports.
Located in the heart of Southern California, San Bernardino County thrives on the diversity of our communities that offer families affordable housing, excellent schools, and community resources, including libraries, parks, hospitals, and international airports. The County provides a safe, clean, and healthy environment with access to a variety of business and shopping opportunities, as well as cultural and educational enrichment opportunities through museums, theater, and higher education, including California State University, San Bernardino, University of Redlands, and Loma Linda University.
For more details about this opportunity, please visit the job brochure at:
To be considered for this exciting career opportunity, please submit a resume, cover letter, and five work related references (who will not be contacted in the early stages of the recruitment) at: https://koffassociates.com/director-of-airports
. Resumes should reflect years and months of positions held.
For additional information, please contact:
Frank Rojas at: (510) 495-0448