JOB TITLE: General Manager
AGENCY: South Tahoe Public Utility District
LOCATION: South Lake Tahoe, CA
FILING DEADLINE: July 5, 2023
SALARY RANGE: $225,184 – $287,399 Annually
Reporting to the District’s five-member Board of Directors, the General Manager performs all services and duties as provided by applicable ordinances, resolutions or regulations of the District and assumes full responsibility for the operation and management of the District. Due to emergency response needs, residency in or near the District’s service area in South Lake Tahoe is highly desirable.
Priorities and Opportunities
- Oversees the operation, organizational structure, and management of the District, including the supervision and control of all the District’s property, administrative activities, personnel, business, and operations.
- Implements policies and directives set by the Board of Directors.
- Directs and participates in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and procedures for the District.
- Provides leadership and direction to ensure high performance and excellent customer service necessary to carry out District business.
- Represents the District within the community and with other organizations at the local, regional (including Alpine County), state, and federal government levels.
- Negotiates a variety of contracts and agreements on the District’s behalf.
- Provides general direction on the design, construction, operation and maintenance of District facilities.
- Oversees preparation and implementation of annual District budget, long range financial planning, and capital improvement programs.
- Performs oversight of District general counsel.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Lead a team effort towards achieving the District mission and strategic goals as approved by the Board.
- Focus on operational vacancies and develop appropriate, effective personnel reporting structure.
- Team-building, staff development, District-wide goal-setting and achievement.
- Building strong, effective, productive partnerships, internally and externally.
- System resiliency, reliability, efficiency, and responsible renewal and replacement for long-term sustainable operations.
- Water system consolidations for economies of scale and higher community service levels.
- Have awareness of impending State and Federal carbon emission reduction legislation and grant opportunities toward achieving improved energy efficiency and implementing renewable energy generation and storage projects.
- Work with staff and union leadership in continuing to build a positive and high performing work culture.
- Legislative and regulatory advocacy and partnerships at the local, regional, state, and federal levels.
- Experience and insightful knowledge and sensitivity of the budget, rate setting, and Prop 218 process.
The ideal candidate will be an innovative, forward-thinking, and strategic leader with extensive management and administrative abilities. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are necessary to build and maintain effective relationships with the Board of Directors, internal staff, partnering agencies, and the public. The successful candidate will be politically astute with the ability to interact with elected officials on matters that impact the District and community. Solid knowledge of wastewater and water issues and organizational structure, regulatory compliance, business practices and principles, and the budget process are essential. The ideal candidate will be a problem solver, who appreciates the need for teamwork and collaboration. South Tahoe Public Utilities District’s next General Manager must be willing and able to manage people and the creative process with inspiration. The successful candidate must show the capacity to multi-task and manage diverse activities, programs, and staff, while leading with diplomacy, inclusive communication, and positive motivational leadership.
The ideal candidate will understand local, regional, County, Federal and State water issues, and trends as well as the Integrated Regional Water Management (IRWM) collaboration and funding process, including regional, County, Federal and State entities. The position requires an inspirational leader, who is approachable, committed to fiscal accountability and system resiliency, and customer service focused. They understand the uniqueness of Lake Tahoe as an incredible place to live and work.
The South Tahoe Public Utility District (District) is a public agency established on September 28, 1950, (pursuant to Section 9 of “The Public Utility District Act”) which supplies drinking water and provides sewage collection, treatment, and export to protect Tahoe’s delicate ecosystem. Managing the Districts’ complex operation requires keen awareness of environmental stewardship principles. In 2022, the Board of Directors voted to build a solar power plant that will offset one-third of the energy demands at the sewer treatment facility beginning in 2024.
For more details about this opportunity, please visit the job brochure at: https://koffassociates.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/Rev2-South-Lake-Tahoe-PUD-GM.pdf
To be considered, please electronically submit your resume, cover letter and a list of five professional references (references will not be contacted in the early stages of the recruitment) to: https://koffassociates.com/stpud-general-manager/
. Resumes should reflect years and months of positions held, as well as size of staff and budgets you have managed.
For additional information, please contact:
Phone: (510) 495-0448
To learn more about STPUD, go to: https://stpud.us/