The City of Ventura is hiring!
The Laboratory Assistant works under general supervision and is responsible for collecting and performing routine chemical and physical analysis of potable water, wastewater, industrial waste, storm water and environmental samples. Incumbent may be required to work weekends and holidays.
The ideal candidate for this position will:
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- have environmental sampling and laboratory knowledge and experience
- possess a background in environmental science, biology, microbiology, or chemistry
- experienced in maintenance and troubleshooting field equipment
- be highly organized and detailed-oriented
- possess the ability to prioritize, follow directions, and multi-task
- have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- possess the ability to work independently and collaboratively
- have HACH WIMS software experience
Salary and Benefits
- Collects samples from treatment plant, estuary, and City water distribution locations
- Coordinate sampling events by preparing COCs, sampling bottles with proper preservatives and labels
- Receive, login, distribute, track, store, and dispose samples in proper holding times and conditions
- Test, observe, record and report field parameters for temperature, pH, chlorine residual, dissolved oxygen, salinity, and other field observations
- Conducts chemical analysis of environmental water samples by standard procedures including, but not limited to the analysis of, solids, pH and alkalinity, COD, BOD, and chlorine residual
- Operates pH and turbidity meters, portable samplers, analytical balances and maintains records of sampling, analysis procedures and results, and inputs data
- Calibrate and conduct maintenance on field equipment used for sample collection, temperature, dissolved oxygen, salinity, pH, and chlorine residual field parameters
- Communicate with and schedule sample deliveries and pickups with contract laboratories
- Lifts manhole covers and portable samplers from inside manholes. Carries several liters of water samples from site back to vehicle
- Cleans and maintains laboratory equipment; and performs other related work as assigned or required
The City offers a total compensation package that includes both a generous salary plus excellent benefit! Salary: $21.52 - $26.16 Hourly DOQ.
Requires a combination of education, training, and experience equivalent to a high school diploma and one year of related laboratory experience. College level course work in a laboratory science is desirable.
: Possession of a valid Class C California driver license and an acceptable driving record is required.
This recruitment is open until filled. The first review of application is scheduled for Friday, October 30, 2020
. For initial consideration, please submit your application and supplemental questionnaire by the first review date. Go to www.cityofventura.ca.gov/jobs and Apply! EEO/ADA