The City of Thousand Oaks is seeking a Landscape Maintenance Crew Leader to join our team!
The Landscape Maintenance Crew Leader should have thorough knowledge of industry standards for proper construction and maintenance of municipal landscape, including irrigation, street trees, graffiti abatement, open space fuel modification, integrated pest management and environmental sustainability. The successful candidate will report to the Landscape Maintenance Supervisor and will lead, oversee and participate in the more difficult and responsible work of the landscape division.
- Primary responsibilities:
- Prioritize projects and assign work orders
- Assist in the supervision and evaluation of work crews
- Identify opportunities and provide for staff training and development
- Instruct employees on proper work methods and standards
- Monitor crew work quality and ensure work is performed in a safe and effective manner
- Inspect landscape maintenance and construction work performed by contractors
- Address and resolve complex customer requests and concerns
- Prepare reports and maintain records, including budgetary estimates
- Assist in the implementation of goals, policies and procedures
The ideal candidate should possess:
- Outstanding customer service skills
- 4+ years of increasingly responsible experience in landscape maintenance; including lead experience
- Ability to lead, motivate, and train others; be a team player
- Solid knowledge of safe working practices and procedures
- Ability to successfully manage multiple deadlines and priorities
- Problem solving skills; ability to offer solutions to complex problems
- Initiative, integrity, creativity, and be a self-starter
- Motivation to accept and research new technology and methods of operation
- Ability to work effectively with other agencies, organizations and contractors
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Physical ability to sit, stand, walk, reach, twist, turn, kneel, bend, squat, and stoop; ability to lift, carry and push tools, equipment, and supplies weighing 25 pounds or more; and be able to work in inclement weather conditions.
- Ability to pass Department of Transportation (DOT) pre-employment drug screen and DOT medical requirements
Licenses and Certifications:
Class B California driver’s license with tanker endorsement
Arborist certificate issued by the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) a plus
Backflow Prevention Device Tester Certificate and/or a Qualified Applicator Certificate (QAC) a plus
Work Schedule - 4/10 (Monday – Thursday, 6:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.). Performs after-hours emergency work on an “as needed” basis and on-call duties on a rotating basis. Must be able to respond to on-call responsibilities at the Municipal Service Center within 30 minutes.
Special Requirement: In accordance with Cal/OSHA regulations, in order to get an air tight face seal while working with a respirator, employees in this position may be required to be clean shaven (no beards, long mustaches, long sideburns or lengthy head hair).
Planner and Organizer
Skill and Career Development Coach
The City provides excellent benefits. Please view benefits on our City website.