$63,867 - $83,331 (plus excellent benefits)
Full-time permanent position
(subject to probation)
Open Until Filled
Under direct or general supervision of the Planning Director, the Planning Technician provides daily technical support to the Planning Department team and plays a significant role in providing information at the Planning public counter. This is an entry-level position in the planning profession and will expose the employee to a wide variety of interesting planning projects in a small, dynamic coastal city.
Minimum Qualifications Required
- Has knowledge of land use planning laws and practices, and knowledge of California local government and coastal planning.
- Understands the concepts of environmental resource planning, building and/or engineering concepts.
- Has the ability to interpret topographic maps, architectural drawings, and site plans
- Possesses expertise using Microsoft programs, and has experience using GIS, Adobe Acrobat, InDesign, Photoshop and/or Google SketchUP.
- Must have excellent customer service skills and be able to effectively interact with the public in a positive and helpful manner in addition to handling multiple projects while working comfortably in a fast-paced team environment.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with City staff, elected officials and the public.
Bachelor of Arts degree in urban planning or related field; AA degree and one year of experience working in planning may be substituted for completion of a BA degree. Experience working in a professional planning environment is desired, especially work experience at a public counter or in a California coastal community. Must possess a valid California Class C Driver License and have a satisfactory driving record.
Applicants must submit a completed online City Employment Application and Resume by the filing deadline. Applications will be accepted on a continuous basis until the position is filled. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a City Employment Application. Visit MalibuCity.org/jobs
for more information and to apply online. If you have questions or need special accommodations with the recruitment process, please contact Alicia Freeman at (310) 456-2489 ext. 219. The City of Malibu is an equal opportunity employer.