The Senior Accountant performs a wide variety of highly responsible professional accounting activities including the analysis and maintenance of accounting systems, records and reports, in the program areas of accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, treasury/revenue services, fixed assets, grant reporting and general ledger.
The Senior Accountant – General Ledger is responsible for supervising the activities of the General Ledger section. Specific duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Maintains chart of accounts.
- Prepares financial reports for the City, including CAFR, state reports, and other reports as required.
- Updates and maintains the City's accounting system including preparation of journal entries, budget adjustments and reclassification entries.
- Ensures accounting entries are completed on a regular and timely basis.
- Reconciles, analyzes, updates, and maintains all general ledger funds, accounts, projects, sub-projects, and account sub-systems such as accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, inventory, fixed assets, grant reporting and revenues.
- Prepares adjusting entries, fiscal year closing adjustments, and documents for auditors as required.
The ideal candidate will be an organized self-starter with a customer service focus who is experienced in both accounting and finance in a government setting. This candidate will ideally have experience with both Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) implementation and Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) preparation. Additionally, the ideal candidate will also demonstrate prior supervisory experience and functions well in a team environment.
Salary and Benefits
The City offers a total compensation package that includes both a generous salary plus excellent benefit! Salary: $77,920.34 - $104,414.13 Annually DOQ.
A combination of training, education and experience equivalent to a bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or business administration, or an equivalent field, and three years of increasingly responsible accounting experience in the assigned program areas related to general ledger accounting, revenue/treasury services, accounts payable, and payroll. Lead or supervisory experience is highly desirable. Public sector accounting experience is highly desirable. Certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is preferred.
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete an online City Job Application and supplemental questionnaire by the filing deadline, Friday, November 13, 2020 at 5:30 PM. Go to www.cityofventura.ca.gov/jobs and Apply! EEO/ADA